Writer Advice’s FLASH MEMOIR Contest 2019
Flash Memoir Submission Information
WriterAdvice seeks flash memoir, a personal life story running 750 words or less. Enlighten, dazzle, and delight us. Finalists receive responses from all judges. Everyone receives a detailed response from award-winning author B. Lynn Goodwin.
We enjoy stories with a discovery, a surprise, and a tone that rings true.’
DEADLINE: Submit to the WriterAdvice Flash Memoir Contest by March 1, 2019. Early submissions strongly encouraged.
JUDGES will be selected from previous prizewinners. Their names will be announced soon and you can read their pieces by clicking on Prior Winners (top right hand box on the home page).
PRIZES: First Place earns $150; Second Place earns $75; Third Place earns $40; Honorable Mentions will also be listed.
FOR BEST RESULTS:
- Include your name, contact information, and title in the cover letter, but include only your title in the submission so it remains anonymous. Please leave the header and footer blank.
- Since we judge these anonymously, you don’t need a cover letter that includes more than your contact information. If you are a finalist, we’ll ask for a bio.
- Please double-space your submission. We recommend that you use a 14-point font that is easy to read. Cambria, Ariel, and Verdana are all good. If you forget, we may fix it for you.
- You own the copyright. If we publish your work, the rights still belong to you, though we ask you not to resubmit until 90 days after it appears on Writer Advice and give us credit if it is published elsewhere.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted.
- We prefer unpublished work, though we do accept stand-alone excerpts from memoirs seeking a publisher or agent.
SUBMISSIONS: All entries should be submitted through Submittable,
You may enter UP TO THREE stories, but each is a separate submission with a separate fee of $14.
Names of all winners will be announced on WriterAdvice, www.writeradvice.com in April or—worst case scenario—May. More information to follow as we become better acquainted with the new site.
E-mail questions, but not submissions to editor B. Lynn Goodwin at Lgood67334 AT comcast DOT net.